Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Graffiti

Law enforcement officials are becoming increasingly concerned regarding graffiti in the central business district of Provo, Utah, states an article in the Deseret News (June 23, 2008). In the last 18 months or so, "police have received 1,154 reports of graffiti." This article nearly leaped off the page at me because our house has recently been the victim of graffiti as well. I found it on the back wall of Camille's bedroom. She seemed pretty pleased with herself. The news article states that "typical graffiti taggers long to be the center of attention...so it only makes sense they want to leave their mark..." I guess I'd have to agree. Being 3 years old and the third child in the family would seem to lead to some type of attention deficit, wouldn't you think. Is this a cry for help? a new found outlet for creative expression? (graffiti on the wall as opposed to on her body) or the first step on a slippery slope to delinquency?
In order to deal with this problem, Provo city has developed graffiti removal ordinances "...to empower the city to clean up the urban blight faster." In creating these ordinances, City Councilwoman Cindy Richards says, "You send a mesage that this is not tolerated in our community." Now that is good advice for me then, right? Cleaning up right away will provide empowerment and send a message. Currently, the ordinance requires retaliers who sell items that could potentially be used to vandal to display a sign in their store stating:

"Graffiti is against the law. Any person who defaces real or personal property with paint or other liquid or device is guilty of a crime punishable by a fine up to $1,000 and/or imprisonment for up to six months."

So that's good advice, but not very applicable to a 3 year old, except the imprisonment part. The issue remains, how do I deter this child from reoffending and possibly becoming attached to this new form of expression. She may start down a dangerous road if I don't handle this situation properly. Police sgt. Jensen said,
"revving up efforts to wipe out graffiti quickly can quickly deflate potential graffiti taggers' aspirations. If it's not up there for everybody to see for extended periods of time, they lose the motivation. They lose the gratification."
So where does 2 or 3 months fall? That's how long its been on display. I've just been trying to ignore it. I actually try not to go into the room very often and when I do, I deliberatly divert my eyes to a different wall. Any suggestions for removing permanent black marker from the wall? And about that imprisonment part ...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Camille is such a brilliant artist!

Jamie said...

I think she is just showing her creative side :) Mr. Clean's Magic eraser did wonders when Caleb took the perma-marker all over our wall at that age. As for stopping future incidents, that big grin on her face isn't very reassuring. (Not exactly the look of guilt and remorse :))

Jenn said...

I second the Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser! That should do it. You've got your hands full, I think she may be a repeat offender. I seems like it was soooo fun!!

Anonymous said...

That look on Millie's face is worth a million bucks. Some people pay a lot of money for modern art interior decorating. The one thing I really see is the love in her eyes and the love in your home. Two or three months? What's the hurry?

Diahan said...

I am thinking that perhaps you are missing the big picture. These look remarkably like crop circles to me- perhaps she is communicating with another species. This could be very exciting and even put Apricot Place on the map! I knew there was a reason we didn't move...

Related Posts with Thumbnails