Friday, October 10, 2008

Primary Program

(Disclaimer: Some of you may not be as interested in this post as my parents. The video is looong.)

Dear Mom & Dad,

I regret to inform you that you missed the ward primary program. This was a dreadful oversight on my part. Looking back, it would have been nice to have a family member sit with my youngest two while I was on-stage manning my CTR5-C class and Sterling was in his designated seat on the stand. But alas, Camille followed me on-stage and Rachel was ushered out of the chapel by a friend, mid-scream.

The chapel was full to capacity with bunches of other grandparents who had attended to watch one or several of the 175 children in our primary recite their lines and sing their songs. Sorry Mom and Dad, that you were not one of those treasured visitors. All I have to offer is a brief recap. Parker did great holding a picture of Brigham Young and clearly saying, "Brigham Young is a prophet of God." Sydney said, "I show my faith in Jesus Christ by being baptized and confirmed." And Sydney knew almost every word of every song they sang. But the most touching part of the program for both Sterling and I was when the primary sang, "If the Savior Stood Beside Me", written by Sally DeFord.

So touched were we that I recorded Sydney singing it later that week. The words aren't perfect but the spirit is. I've posted it here in hopes to assuage your disappointment in missing the program altogether. Again, please accept my sincerest apologies.

Love,
Karin and the kids
P.S. Can we still come for Sunday dinner?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I may not be a grandparent, but as an aunt I sure loved watching that video. Sydney, you have such a pretty voice and you knew all the words! This is also my very favorite song!

Kim Dewey said...

Holy smokes, 175 kids! Our entire ward sacrament meeting attendance is not much more than that. It must be quite the adventure every week. :)

P.S. This is Kim's account, but it's really me, DJ

Misty Anderson said...

Way to go Sydney! Our next American Idol!

Anonymous said...

Wow I am so impressed! Great job on knowing all the words Syd! Plus, I loved your little bow at the end. Perfect ending to a perfect performance!

Jamie said...

what a great singer! but it's sad that she is now saying her "r"s :) She is growing up! Even though being the primary chorister was one of the busiest and physically exhausting callings i've had, i MISS MISS singing with the primary kids! they have an amazing spirit that you can't feel anywhere else in the church!

Tina said...

That was so beautiful! Hannah and Hailey now want to do something like that for their grandparents. Hannah wants to say that "Sydney you are so beautiful and sang so great!" Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Sydney, I have watched you singing your song many, many times now. I am so sorry that were not there to see you do it live. But if we had been there then you may never have made a recording and I love having the recording. You are so special and I love the beautiful job you do on the things you do. I can't wait until you come to our house for dinner again. Love Gpa Dewey

Sara said...

That was very beautiful Sydney! You are just as beautiful as your Mother and have just as nice voice. Thanks for making my evening and singing that song so well. I love that song!

Related Posts with Thumbnails